Monday, June 11, 2012

Time for a break...

Since I started formally counting, I have submitted 45 non-academic job applications.  I thought I would give everyone a breakdown of the statistics regarding number of interviews and job offers.  As I am fond of numbers, I will try to provide the technical analysis at a basic level.  I truly hope it doesn't water down the results, and I can provide the comprehensive analysis if requested.  So here it is:

Number of applications:  45
Number of in-person interviews:  0
Number of phone interviews:  0
Number of phone interviews for jobs I didn't apply for:  1*

So, I think the stats say it quite clearly, and the sample size is not too bad.  First off, I should stop applying for jobs.  Secondly,  if I stop applying for jobs (at least those I believe I am remotely qualified for), then the number of requested interviews increases dramatically.  In total, if I do nothing then I am bound to receive more interviews than if I rigorously apply.

One of the 45 jobs I applied for was a perfect match, even given my academic qualifications.  At the time of applying, I was confident I would at least be contacted for a follow-up.  There was no way that I wouldn't move to the next step.  Alas, I received the email (at least a notification, right?) that I wasn't selected.  Another job was a bit of a stretch in terms of qualifications, but I wrote a great cover letter explaining how I could do the job well, and it was in an area relevant to my work.  It seemed like the perfect transition out of academia.  I even alluded to it in a previous post as 'The perfect job'.  Well, I guess you know how that turned out.  Sure, a few of my applications were far-fetched, but the majority had strong ties to my qualifications.  I feel like I am on the black list.

No more applications for me.  What ever happened to fate?  Fate is my new best friend.  If I am supposed to have a job, then it will just all work out.  Ahh...  wishful thinking, where have you been all my life?


* Ok, an internal recruiter at one of the companies I applied for gave my application to another internal recruiter in a different branch, and I was severely under-qualified (or over-qualified, don't they mean the same thing?) for the position.  The 'interview' was a bit awkward as I tried to explain that I didn't apply for this type of position while at the same time I 'begged' to be considered anyway.  So much for pride.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you're not having more luck with this batch of applications. I have sent out a ton too and while I've had some interest these people are hardly beating down my door to hire me.

    Maybe a little break from job apps will recharge your batteries? I hope things change for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't give up. I totally understand your need to rationalize the process with numbers alone, but I'd like to point out just one important detail that you might not be aware of: the economics of hiring -- especially now -- simply do not follow any logical principles whatsoever.

    While it may not be much consolation, the job market right now is staggeringly tough all around. I think postacademics have it especially hard for a number of reasons, but it's important to maintain this perspective. Also, keep in mind that recruiting software (if you're applying to jobs online) is grossly inefficient across the board. To compound this problem, HR departments at many companies have been completely gutted over the past few years, so even the humans that are presumably at the other end aren't operating as efficiently as they should be to deal with the influx of applicants. So it's not you, by any means.

    Rejection is part of the process, unfortunately, but that's how you know that you're in the game. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to search for any way to find some sort of personal connection within an organization you are trying to work for. In my experience, it is exceedingly rare for even exceptional candidates to get a foot in the door through applying for publicized job announcements. They are a great way to learn about what positions are out there, and applying for them hones your sense of what you are after and may lead to a personal connection, but I am not surprised at your lack of success. Often times, by the time the job announcement is publicized there is already a short list of inside candidates who were referred to the job or who already work for the organization. It is only if all of these fall through that they will go to the general applicant pool (prioritized by the inexact science of resume software and HR people who are somewhat distant from the actual people on the work team). Your getting referred to another recruiter is a huge success and is exactly how things work. That means you got their attention, even if it didn't pan out.

    Finding one strategically placed person who will advocate for you can be worth 100 job applications without a connection.

    Look for other strategies. I don't know, but it seems like you are an American living abroad. Have you thought about US government or government contracting? There are lots of opportunities in science and science policy, but (similar to your current experience) you are not going to get a job by applying on USAJobs unless you have a personal connection before applying. Almost everyone gets a foot in the door through some sort of fellowship program:
    http://www.phds.org/jobs/nonacademic-careers/internships-and-careers-in-science-policy/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh crumbs. Yes, Anon #2 has made a good point. Try to find a personal connection with the organization that you're trying to work for. But Currier Bell and Anon#1 have given you some good advice as well. The job market is horribly tough so perhaps try, after you’ve had a small break (day or so) to sit down and list all the skill sets that you have so that you can work out how to match up those with the jobs that you’d like to apply for. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete