Monday, May 21, 2012

Headhunters

Would you use them or not?  In the academic world, headhunters (or recruiters not based at the hiring company) are never used (to my knowledge), and most of the ads for tenure-track jobs specifically state that recruiters are not welcome.  During my non-academic search, quite a few career advice sites recommend using headhunters, and some suggest using more than one at the same time.  Unfortunately, it seems the advice to take on a recruiter often stems directly from a quasi-interview with someone employed or attached to the recruiting firm, and consequently I find their direction must be biased.  Coming from the academic world, I am leery to try out these recruiters, and I don't know if, given that everything about my leaving academia is supposed to be sort of 'hush-hush', I want my credentials (or lack thereof) to become mass-distributed such that I am labeled a hopeless, saturated case on the job market.  I guess I really don't quite understand the entire process, so I suppose I am a bit ignorant.  Anyway, as I received the 35th job rejection last week, I am starting to get concerned - I can't even get to step 1 of the selection process! (an interview, even a phone interview would be great).  What are your current thoughts about using these agencies?

7 comments:

  1. I have sent my resume to a few headhunting firms. A few were general firms that did accept resumes from people in the humanities. I found that MANY firms did not accept humanities-based applicants! A few others were career-based firms (for example, publishing-based headhunters) that only sent resumes to certain companies.

    Without exception, I've heard jack squat from all of them. Wait...I did get a letter from one saying that they weren't sure what to do with someone with my "qualifications" and that the PhD was stymieing them. But this has just been my experience; perhaps someone else has had success?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Err no...I've never used headhunters since I don't have the cash to spend on them, so really there's no point even considering the possiblity/concept. In reply to Currier Bell's question in her comment...I've not heard of anyone I know who's had any success with them. I know people who have used them and they've told me that it was a waste of their hard earned cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I understand, you do not (and absolutely should not) pay for a recruiting/headhunter service. They get paid from the employer that hires you (which is probably why some ads state that submissions from recruiters are not welcome). So, money isn't a factor, and I would definitely not use them if I had to pay.

      Delete
    2. I don't know that my experience is representative, but I know that I did not pay at any of the services where I submitted my resume. Ditto my partner. I bet there are other places where you do pay for a mixture of career counseling, resume crafting, and job searching. In my more "traditional" use of head hunting services, however, there has been no fee.

      Delete
  3. I have an acquaintance who was a postdoc, and the prof he was working with was contacted by a headhunting firm trying to lure him (the prof) into an industry job. After the prof declined, my friend (the postdoc) contacted the headhunting firm to say he was interested. They offered him a job the next day and he has been quite happy at it.

    Do your research, which it seems like you have, but using a reputable firm should be fine. Though the practice varies among disciplines, industries, countries etc . . . Most of these firms understand the need to be discrete with regards to your current employer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would be better to spend your money on a career coach or someone who could help you prepare great materials and find more options for jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, I would not be paying any headhunter/recruiter to work for me. That's just not how it is supposed to be done, and you should (apparently) watch out if a recruiter asks for payment to place you.

      Delete