Wednesday, April 11, 2012

When do you let go?

Of a job application, that is.  I started steadily applying 2 months ago for non-academic jobs, and I haven't heard anything yet.  I am up to 26 in total.  It was my understanding that 'regular' jobs take much less time to fill than academic ones.  This may still be true, and brings along quite a fright for me - that none of my applications were successful in the least.  Sure, many jobs I have applied to have fancy web submission systems that supposedly track the status of your application, but it seems the majority of them are stuck in either the "New application" state or something like "Under Consideration" or "On File".  It doesn't make too much sense to me to have a status tracking system that doesn't track actual progress.  I already know I submitted my application.  My question to those breaking into non-academic jobs is:  When do you forget about a certain application, regardless of what submission sites might be saying?  Also, how long (approximately) do these jobs take to fill?

// START (rant)

I have been reminded recently of the absolutely terrible standards of academic communication that I have written about before.  About six months ago, I had a phone interview for a tenure-track position.  So, when I received the rejection (2.5 months ago), I kindly asked (via email) for an evaluation of the interview and what the interviewer thought were my weak points.  I suppose I was optimistic, but I still haven't received a response.  Is it that difficult to write something back?  You don't even need to give me my requested review - just tell me at least that you don't have the time to think about it.  Or offer a couple of general remarks.  Is it really that hard?  I can't stand it.  I have also asked about a month ago about the status of my last remaining application for a tenure-track job - a nice, polite follow-up email asking about their current search process.  Do you think I got a response?  Of course not.  Again, how difficult is it to write one sentence, saying either, "You suck, and you weren't selected you moron" or, "We are still making our decisions for interviews."  You don't even need to give me a date.  Anyway, I have resolved to never leave an email in my inbox that requires a response for more than one day.  I won't perpetrate this unprofessional behavior.  It's no wonder that academics are regarded as people who can't get regular assignments done in a prompt manner - what are we/they conveying in this first-line of the communication process?

// END (rant)

3 comments:

  1. I fear this won't be a terribly helpful comment, but I think it varies.

    I know that both times I've been interviewed I've heard back RAPIDLY...like the same day/the next day I submitted the app. But I know others like JC haven't heard for quite a few weeks.

    Based on my personal experience, I begin to "let go" pretty quickly. Yet it seems that the stories of others suggest that a month or two might not be out of the norm...even though these searches move more quickly than academic ones, funding still gets cut, positions get cut and then re-opened/restructured, etc.

    Good luck! I'm in the double app digits too and it can be hard not to get discouraged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Currer Bell. That sure puts a new spin on things - I can't believe you heard back so quickly. I think I will start forgetting about applications sooner rather than later (although respecting the posted closing date).

      Delete
  2. I let go the same day. No kidding. I've been applying for jobs for 12 months now, while still being employed as a post-doc at a research lab (EPA). If it wasn't for shrinking budgets, they'd have a permanent position for me, but... Today is my day #2 of unemployment. So what I have learned during the past year: let go as soon as you hit the "complete application" button. In the past year I've had people call me after 5 weeks (phone interview - with no follow up), the same week (two in-person interviews, but as soon as they have learned my current pay - they did not even bother to make an offer), in a couple of weeks (one interview teaching at a private high school - no follow up). The conclusion here: just "keep swimming". You have done what you possibly could - applied, now don't keep draining your energy. The ball is on their side; it is not your headache any more, move on. Keep applying. One of them will fire, just remember that it will take much longer than we think is "normal" to land a job. And my personal advice - go for a good walk in the park after each rejection you get (or for a run, if you can): much healthier than a trip to the freezer for a doze of ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete