Friday, April 20, 2012

The Last Straw

A few posts back I mentioned I applied to my 'dream' tenure-track position, and, being as a long time has transpired since the original application, I requested a status update.  I am still waiting.  But, as it turns out, I found out in a roundabout way that I was not selected for an interview.

The Last Straw.  This was the job I had structured my goals around when I first moved 6000 miles away to do my postdoc (the first one, that is), although it never really occurred to me that a position might actually open up in my dream city.  But it did.  This opportunity signaled the end of the postdoc experience for me and began the process of transitioning into a professorship.  I had personal contacts with people there (for more than ten years), I had a decent CV, my research was aligned with the target of the application, and I even met the key players on the committee last summer during an informal interview process.  And I applied.

It's a good thing I have been looking into non-academic jobs during the past two months, as it has softened the blow greatly.  I already know I am not totally suited for academia - for example, I can't stand reading journal articles or making sure I am completely abreast of new developments and I am more of a short-term goal person.  The non-academic job search (although grueling and depressing) and the continued failure of academic applications are good things, which promote delving into oneself to truly understand the situation.  When I think about it, and considering there is no longer a tenure-track position there, I really don't want to live in the city I thought was my dream.  It is still pretty scary realizing there is no future for me in academia, coupled with the fact that my non-academic search has not produced any results.

Fifteen years and thousands of dollars later, the door to my future career has finally closed.  Let's hope I can find my way out in the dark.  If only I could find some matches, I could use my diplomas as a torch.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. You sound so depressed. It's worrying to hear your tone but I know that it is hard to realise that there is no future for one in academia after having invested not just large numbers of years but also a large amount of money. It's awful..I know and the others who are in the blogosphere who write about the lack of opportunities in academia etc are in the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! I love the last line :) I know only too well that this period of transition - from a career of certainty (even though futile) to gainful employment in something else - is hard. You just have to keep putting those applications out. You will find something. After all, you have already demonstrated that you are smart, focused, hard-working, dedicated and adaptable. It's just a matter of getting a gig somewhere else. It may take time, but you will get a job eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm adding a note - don't use your diplomas as a torch since they may come in handy. You have to believe that you will find a job, as said above, since you're smart, focused, hard-working, dedicated and above all adaptable. Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete